Minnesota Rural-Urban Exchange members ricing at Lake Itasca; photo: Moira Villiard
Art of the Rural (AOTR) is a national organization working to advance rural culture and quality of life through relationships that connect communities, cultivate dialogue, and forward rural-urban exchange.
We are accepting applications for the position of Programs Assistant through March 29, 2023. We seek a dynamic, well-organized, experienced manager to help oversee the administration, organization, and implementation AOTR’s operating and programming. This is a 3/4 time position (32 hrs/ week with 25 hrs during office time). The pay range is $23-$26 per hour depending on experience.
This individual will work to advance the following goals and priorities:
- Support AOTR programs to achieve intended goals and strategies in accordance with the mission, vision, and values of that program and the organization.
- Support AOTR programs by performing day to day tasks focused on providing administrative, logistical, and contract support to collaborators, host communities, artists, and partners.
- Coordinating scheduling, agenda development, note-taking, follow up, and administrative support for AOTR staff, board, and partners.
- Coordinate, develop, and schedule social media and newsletter content with staff.
- Maintain and advance AOTR’s commitment to accessibility, equity, and inclusion.
- In all efforts, model the mission, vision, values and standards of behavior for AOTR.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Collaborate with AOTR staff to support the High Visibility, Rural Generation, Rural-Urban Exchange, Spillway, and other program portfolios to:
- Foster healthy and rewarding relationships with all collaborators, volunteers, hosts, and partners, ensuring successful completion of the program’s goals.
- Manage organizational calendar and programmatic activities list.
- Maintain meeting schedules, develop agendas, take notes, provide follow up as assigned.
- Serve as a hospitable and communicative liaison between staff and contracted artists to ensure that contracts and payments are complete.
- Support the regranting process.
- When we host an event, intensive, or conference:
- Serve as a hospitable and communicative liaison to ensure that bookings, contracts, and payments are complete for lodging, meals, facilities, transportation, facilitators, scholarships, experiences, performances, and speakers.
- Ensure collective understanding of program logistics among program staff and hosts.
- Ensure that technical needs and host hospitality are considered beforehand.
- Support volunteer coordination.
- When on site, support effective time management.
- Manage the website, newsletters, bi-mothly blog, and press/public relations materials with consideration of AOTR’s core values while following our brand standards.
- Audiences include artists, culture-bearers, journalists, nonprofit leaders, policymakers, current & potential funders, and the general public.
- Manage social media content creation across platforms and accounts. When content is posted on a specific account, repost on AOTR platforms.
- Support updating evaluation materials for programs, and processing those evaluations for review. Mine evaluative material for communications and grant writing content.
- Manage the administration and communications of a small fundraising campaign.
- Work with staff to edit and prepare supporting materials for grant applications.
- Track goals and deliverables for grant reporting and complete reports on time.
- Appropriately manage internal communications on behalf of AOTR, including email and phone inquiries.
- Support a culture of gratitude by sending thank you cards and acknowledgement letters to volunteers, speakers, committee members, and donors.
- Provide project management and administrative support to AOTR programs.
- Keep mailing lists and databases up to date.
- Maintain google drive organization.
- Maintain canva, mailchimp, and squarespace accounts.
- Add receipts into quickbooks or other tracking systems and update budgets in collaboration with staff and accountants.
- Maintain expertise on approach, framework, and events across AOTR programs.
- Complete annual self-assessment and discuss with the Executive Director.
- Other duties as needed and/or agreed upon with the Executive Director.
Training and experience with contracts and event planning.
Experience managing administrative support for multiple programs, including calendar and project management.
Experience with virtual communications and content creation, including Mailchimp, Canva, Squarespace and social media platforms.
Experience with fundraising campaigns and online giving.
Experience with budget tracking, accounting, and payment systems.
Evidence of a focused, goal-oriented, and self-directed work ethic at a previous role.
Experience working with a distributed team and advancing projects collaboratively from a distance.
Strong track record of commitment to accessibility, equity, and inclusion.
DESIRED SKILLS AND APTITUDES
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to maintain professional relationships in a variety of social environments.
Advanced emotional intelligence, cultural competency, and ability to make judgements based on holistic, nuanced perspectives when considering complex situations.
Decision making and communications that reflect familiarity and respect for rural America and Indian Country as well as the current landscape of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
RESIDENCY AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
Must have an active driver’s license, a reliable car, and willingness to travel occasionally.
Availability to perform at least 25 hours of work per week during office hours.
Ability to fully participate in virtual staff, board, and programs meetings.
Strong connection to a community in rural America or Indian Country. Residency in a small community is preferred.
This is a remote contract position working up to 32 hours per week, with at least 25 hours of work performed during office hours. The pay range is $23-$26 per hour depending on experience. The position reports to the Art of the Rural Executive Director, and works closely with staff.
Please apply online by March 29: https://forms.gle/EFoGiEDHTRzwsQqb9